I felt adventurous: Having the rain barrel set up made my watering chore a lot easier. So easy, in fact, that I decided I could handle a couple more planters.
But before I got to the growing part, I had to prepare a spot that would hold planters.
At some point, the previous owners poured a crude concrete cap with a round top over the graystone wing walls that frame the staircase to the left and right.
This is a perfect location for planters, but I first had to cut and grind the round concrete top into a flat surface and mount a pressure treated board on it.
The board bought me some extra width and served as the base for the next step: Extending the architrave profile from the column bases all the way across the wing wall. I had purchased some cedar boards that I milled and assembled into a matching profile. I chose cedar in the hope that it will age and turn a similar gray color to the limestone.
Mirroring the existing profile required a fair bit of planing to match up all lines. Thanks to our friend Job, I had become a proud owner of a handful of quality planes, and knew how to keep the sharp. And let me tell you, a good tool is half the battle!
I was doing the milling and planing close by, in front of the house, and always had a few kids stop by wondering what I was doing. But once I whipped out the plane, I had a real audience with jaws wide open. This was something the kids had not seen before.
I asked them to pick us some of the shavings and smell it – smell the cedar. That caused a real sensation. I think every single kid took some shavings home with them. I put the rest in containers and placed it in our closets.
To make sure the planters don’t get blown or knocked over, I assembled two boxes (also cedar) that would hold them in place.
All that was missing were the actual plants. I opted for Nasturtium.
These are very ornamental, yet edible. We love that nutty, yet spicy taste of pragmatism!